Monday, April 28, 2014

Memories! ...


Hi friends!
We, at Lulupu have a very interesting challenge for this fortnight which is Vacation/Travel/Holidays - Only LO Theme for our Challenge #29. With this month nearly coming to an end, you just have two more days to join in the fun.
Here's what I have created for our current challenge :

And, you know what ? This is my first ever layout. and I was quite nervous about creating it but once I got the right pictures to scrap about, and, the sketch from Once upon a ..Sketch Challenge, I was all set. And, this is what I ended up creating :
My LO is based on my parent's first international trip to the U.S.A to meet my brother and his family. My brother and me were so excited and nervous at the same time as my parent's were travelling alone. But, by God's grace, everything went quite smoothly and they really had a very good time in California where my brother is put up. The photo that I am scrapping about was taken on a water-front near Milpitas and it was really cold there as my parent's had traveled during the winter's.
Sadly, this was my father's first and last trip to U.S as he is no more with us. I really, really miss him a lot. So, this layout has a special significance for me. Since, this trip was one of the big events of my parent's life, in a way, it was even mine and my brother's.

Some more views of the layout with a little bit of journaling done :

Here's a close-up of my flower cluster :

 And a close up of the removable Tag on which the journalling is done :

A little bit about how I made this. For the base, I first took a 300gsm white cardstock and stuck my DCWV pattern paper over it. Then, I used the Sakura Modelling paste and TCW Hexagons Stencil on the two corners of my LO to create the hexagon background. Most of the bright, cheerful die-cuts used on my LO are from the Simple Stories Travel Snap! cards which I have fussy-cut and stuck on my LO with 3D Foams tabs to give it a little bit of dimension. The flowers are all die-cut using Spellbinder's die and I have used brads on the centre of my flowers. Added a little bit of journaling on a removable tag!

Supplies used :
Base paper : Local Cardstock
Pattern papers : DCWV, Pebbles Basic Cardmaking paper pad, My Mind's Eye..
Dies : Spellbinder's Rose Creations, Memory box Fabulous Phlox dies.
Punches : Martha Stewart Doliy Lace border  punch.
 Travel Snap! cards from Simple stories
Distress Stains : Peacock Feathers, Salty Ocean,Wild Honey, Mowed Lawn.
Distress Inks :Tumbled Glass,Spiced Marmalade.
The Crafter's Workshop Hexagons Stencil, Sakura Modelling paste, Washi tapes,Basic grey Brads,Studio Calico Tiny Stars Wood Veneers, Twine, Pearls.




Challenges entered :
Once Upon a Sketch -Sketch Challenge.
Scrap Around the World - Mood Board Challenge ( I was inspired by the colours and the background from the inspiration picture).
Color Conceptions- Anything but a Card.

Hope you like my first attempt at making a layout. Please leave me your comments/ suggestions. I would love to hear from you :)
Have a nice day everyone!

24 comments:

  1. Hussena this is gorgeous, loved all the elements you have added & of course the colors too. You can never go wrong with the color combo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TFS at Color Conceptions Hussena. Good luck.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely amazing layout Huseena though you are saying its your first one. I loved those flower clusters and the colours. ´
    Hugs
    Archana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful LO Hussena! I love the flower clusters and the way you used the direction signs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hussena, What a gorgeous scrapbook page. I love how you have arranged everything and I'm sure this page will become a real keepsake for you and your family. Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. COngrats on your first layout! GOOD job!! Please play again with us at SATW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely gorgeous layout, Hussena!! It's even more beautiful for it's significance of documenting your parent's trip!! The flowers are so pretty and I love all of the details you added!! You did such a fabulous job on your first layout!! What a beautiful way to honor the memory of your father!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful layout,,,love the flowers, colors and the bright diecuts

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a WONDERFUL job you have done! Love those flowers - I did wonder if they were shop bought or not....so I'm glad you told me how you made them....& it's good to know where & what your journaling is about....Dad's are always missed - mine died quite a while ago, but I still miss him:) LOOOVE your background work too.....And if you haven’t already done so, you can link this to our Once Upon A…Sketch Facebook Page for a chance at our special FB prize! Thanks for joining us this month:):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an awesome keepsake...Ur Mom would sure treasure, if she sees this piece of art.Moments perfectly captured and put together on this LO..Lovely detailing Hussena...Flowers are pretty as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Hussena. Your layout looks unique and special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It doesn't look like a first timer at all.Wonderful job!Well done.Love the story and the embellies you used.Hope to play along before the challenge ends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know what..I was waiting for you to post LO..since I read the Lulupu challenge theme..:) !! Loved loved...the.. fresh colors..subtle
    textures..n the paper pieced elements..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely cluster of flowers.. Beautifully done layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy and colorful! Great layout! Thank you so much for drawing inspiration from my mood board and joining us at SATW this month!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great LO. I like You handmade flowers. They look so lovely. Thanks for playing at SATW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to the 30x30 space, I hope you will enjoy it! You did so great for your first LO. Thank you for playing along with our SATW moodboard and OUAS sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful page! Thank you for playing along with us at SATW.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so pretty!!
    You did amazing on your 1st one!!
    WTG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your first EVER layout? I think it is gorgeous. I hope to see lots more of your layouts around too. I love the colours and the story behind the layout. It is indeed a very significant and special layout. Love it.... Thanks so much for playing along with us at OUAS this month.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wowieeeee Hussena this is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, you are a natural at layouts. This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hussena, what a gorgeous layout ~ really amazing that it's your first!! Your handcrafted flowers and elements are stunning!! Thanks for sharing about your journaling. You must miss your dad very much. I’m so glad you have joined us for the April Once Upon A…Sketch Challenge and for sharing your layout on our Facebook page! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely LO Hussena..your projects whatever they are, are always too good. nice to see you doing LOs..keep doing them !!

    ReplyDelete